Sep 15, 2010
Today, I would like to share my utmost favourite of rendang which is Rendang Minang. It is rich in spices, uses coconut milk (Minangkabau: karambia) and mixture of ground spices paste, which is include ginger, galangal, turmeric leaves, lemon grass, garlic, shallot, chillies and other spices. These spices are called pemasak in Minangkabau language. Spices used in rendang are known as a natural antimicrobial substances and serve as natural organic preservatives. Garlic, shallot, ginger and galangal are known to have strong antimicrobial properties. That is why dry rendang if cooked properly could last for as long as one to four weeks.
Chicken Rendang Minang or Rendang Ayam Minang
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 3 serving spoons blended chillies or sambal olek
- 1 teaspoon birds eye chillies
- 12 shallots - 1/2 blended & 1/2 thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic - 1/2 blended & 1/2 thinly sliced
- 2 inches ginger - thinly sliced and blend together with shallots/garlic
- 3 lemongrass - thinly sliced and blend together with shallots/garlic
- 2 roots of galangal or lengkuas - thinly sliced and blend together with shallots/ginger
- 2 cans 400 ml coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons kerisik (grated, roasted & ground coconut to paste)
- Salt to taste
- 2 pieces Asam keping or dried sour fruit or 1/2 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 5 kaffir lime leaves and/or 2 pieces Turmeric leaves (daun kunyit)
- 3 tablespoon turmeric powder
- Cleaned and washed the chicken.
- Rubbed all over the chicken with salt and turmeric powder.
- Deef fry until 1/2 way cooked.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok and sauteed the thinly sliced shallots and all the blended ingredients until fragrant.
- Add in the coconut milk, kerisik, asam keping, daun kunyit (turmeric leaves), daun limau purut (kaffir lime leaves ) and salt to taste.
- Add in the chicken, stir well.
- Reduced the heat and leave the chicken to cooked until thicken and dry.
- Taste the salt.
- Dish out and serves with boiled Brasmati or Thai rice.
Notes: If you are not sure where to buy some of the essential ingredients, please do not hesitate to visit and buy from our online store. Please, do let me know through the contact form any other ingredients needed if they are not listed at the store and I will try to accommodate them as well. Thank you.